Thursday 31 December 2015

Pancakes in Portugalete

At least, that is what I think they were making. I had just visited, for the second time in a week, the Museo Rialia, which is a very interesting museum of industry situated on the riverside in Portugalete, Bilbao, Spain. Its attraction for me was the collection of paintings depicting the iron and steel industry of Bilbao.




Having gorged myself on Bessemer Converters and the Martin Siemens process, furnace tapping, block casting and other such occupations I egressed the museum to discover at the bottom of the steps outside, this knot of children being taught what I deduce was the skill of pancake making. 

As I watched the demonstrators pounding and moulding it occurred to me that their actions were not dissimilar to those depicted in the paintings of steel workers in the museum.

I wonder what the pancakes tasted like?

No comments:

Post a Comment