Friday 14 August 2015

Chenies School and the 336

Whilst we are on the subject of old buses... the London Transport routes which served the village of Chenies, where I lived as a child, were the 335 and the 336. Recently I purchased a section of the destination blind of one of the 336 buses which had been based at Amersham Garage and had it framed. 
How silly can you get?

Section of the destination blind from the 336 bus.
Read on. 
Having passed my 11 plus examination I then left Chenies County Primary School and started at Dr Challoner's Grammar School in Amersham. I could now no longer walk to school so I commuted daily on the 336 bus. The buses on this route had been designed especially for London Transport to be able to negotiate low bridges, of which there was one at Amersham. For this reason their fleet designation was: 'RLH' – the 'LH' standing for 'low height'. 
I have now purchased the very bus that I travelled to school on.



Actually, it is a model but what a model!  Look at the detail on it. The fleet number RLH 42 which you can clearly see on the side of the bonnet shows that it is one of the three buses which regularly served this route and upon which I have travelled many miles. I know it is not the REAL bus, but it is to me. When I think of the hours I spent waiting for it to arrive in Sycamore Road to take me home after school.... 
I could show you the actual bus stop. Yes! The very one. No, I have not purchased it, but if you watch the 1962 comedy film, The Fast Lady, which starred James Robertson Justice, Leslie Phillips, Stanley Baxter and in her debut role, Julie Christie, you will see some super location shots, one of which is in Sycamore Road, Amersham.


The bus stop (arrowed) in Sycamore Road, Amersham, where I used to await the 336
to take me home after school.
The film was made by Beaconsfield Studios and in one of the shots the car races past my girlfriend's house. But that is another story.

If you want to know more about Chenies School, click on their website here

No comments:

Post a Comment