Wednesday 15 January 2014

Art Deco and NADFAS

I had to go to London yesterday to a meeting at NADFAS now that I am a NADFAS accredited lecturer. I took what we call the 'fast train' which whisks us from Canterbury to London St. Pancras in about 56 minutes. Historically, East Kent has always been linked to the London stations of Charing Cross and Victoria so arriving in the north of London was quite a change for me. Of course, had the Duke of Bedford not forbidden the London-Birmingham Railway et al from crossing his estates in the nineteenth century then Euston, King's Cross and St. Pancras stations would not have been called such because they would probably have been built somewhere near the Strand.


Trinity Court apartment building,
erected 1935.
If you are wondering what NADFAS stands for, it is the 'National Association of Decorative and Fine Arts Societies' and in honour of such an affiliation, on my walk down the Grays Inn Road I stopped to look at Trinity Court which is a rather attractive (in my view) Art Deco building erected as an eight-storey block of apartments in 1935 to cater for the demand for service flats from the rising middle classes.

Detail of balcony








No comments:

Post a Comment